Bikers of all types look to better understand motorcycle detailing prices and how to compare services from different detailers. There are professional detailers that offer services for cars, bikes, boats, and other vehicles, and those that specialize on knowing every inch of a particular type of vehicle. Detailing a motorcycle is like opening your car’s hood and asking a detailer to know how to treat every type of material in and out of there. It takes a certain level of professional motorcycle detailing expertise to understand how treat each material in every small and intricate surface. We are the most specialized motorcycle detailing and restoration studio in the industry and can provide a guide to navigate motorcycle detailing costs and services.
So, How Much Does It Cost to Detail a Motorcycle?
As an obvious start, if you ride a cruiser, you will pay less than a trike, but more than a sport bike or sportster. Besides the plain difference in motorcycle sizes, there are three main factors that affect motorcycle detailing prices:
- Condition of each surface and the procedure needed to correct it
- Protection you would like to give your bike to make the results last
- Durability of that protection and maintenance you would like to have
#1 Condition of Each Surface and Procedures Needed
Every motorcycle has its unique story etched into its materials, and unlike cars, motorcycles have smaller intricate surfaces. The paint tells tales of journeys taken, the chrome gleams with pride, and the aluminum components whisper tales of speed and precision. The different types of materials on a motorcycle range from glossy and matte paint to gelcoat, carbon fiber, chrome, aluminum and anodized aluminum, copper, powder coated, cerakote, leather, vinyl, plastic, and lexan. The total price to detail a motorcycle is often a reflection of the materials’ conditions and the level of precision required for each.
- Hand Wash: this step may be overlooked by many, but when not done correctly it can cause a lot of damage that may have to be corrected in the future if the professional doesn’t know how to wash a motorcycle with genuine care. Power washers or too much water pressure may be perceived as a faster process, but may harm exposed controls, electronic and electrical components, sound system, LEDs, and even the paint. If microfibers and other washing materials are not kept free of debris throughout the process, it may cause scratches easily. A more meticulous and trained professional motorcycle detailer may cost more for their time and effort but will be worth it in the long term.
- Polishing: this step follows the wash for some surfaces. Pricing for chrome polishing and other polishes tend to depend on the severity of the damage to be fixed. For example, chrome surfaces fall victim to surface rust, stains, scuffing, and light scratches, and although aluminum is a rust-proof metal, it is still prone to heat discoloration, water stains, and pre-rust.
- Paint Correction: this process is necessary when a more aggressive agent is needed to correct light- to medium-depth scratches, oxidation, and swirl marks. Paint correction removes scratches by slowly and carefully polishing away microscopic layers of the clear coat. Paint correction is the start of an artform to bring out that gorgeous reflective finish, this step is necessary before proceeding to long-term preservation solutions like ceramic coatings.
- Engine Decontamination: this process helps bring back the original color of a motorcycle engine, removing years of contamination, eliminating all the chemicals or foreign substances that are embedded in the engine finish that create stains and discoloration. The price depends on the level of treatment, procedure and time to complete the task.
- Special Attention: some cases require special attention and may add to the cost, such as deep chips and scratches, white wall tires stain removal, melted rubber removal, decal removal, tank badge removal, and more. You can read through our list of add-ons to understand these cases better.
#2 Protection for the Long Haul
Detailing isn’t just about making your motorcycle shine for a day. It’s about safeguarding it from the elements and preserving that freshly-detailed look. When discussing pricing, the level of protection chosen by the customer plays a pivotal role.
- Ceramic Coating: This is the gold standard for motorcycle protection. It’s a thin, transparent layer that acts as a shield against UV rays, contaminants, and minor scratches. The price for detailing often increases with the application of ceramic coatings due to years of durability, the skill and time required to ensure a flawless finish. However, you can make certain ceramic coatings last forever and it can save you lots of money with follow up treatments that are affordable.
- Wax and Sealants: While not as long-lasting as ceramic coatings, waxes and sealants offer good protection. They provide a glossy finish and can be more budget-friendly. However, they require more frequent reapplication for the same price every time.
#3 Durability of Protection
Pricing is also influenced by how long the chosen protection will last. Here’s a breakdown of durability:
- Ceramic Coating: The durability champion. A well-applied ceramic coating can last for several years, providing long-term protection against various elements. There are ceramic coatings that can last 1 year, 3 years, and even 5 years, prices vary depending on the length of protection time. Gyeon is known as the industry leader in ceramic coatings, and when working with a detailer than can guide you through the care process after application, that ceramic coating can last forever. It’s an investment in the preservation of your motorcycle’s appearance, longevity, and future resale value.
- Wax and Sealants: These options offer good protection but require periodic reapplication, usually every few months. They provide a beautiful finish but demand more maintenance that will add up costs over time.
The Power is in Your Hands
Ultimately, motorcycle detailing prices are about tailoring the service to your bike’s unique needs and your preferences as a biker. Maybe your motorcycle’s paint is in great shape, and you’re looking for an affordable motorcycle detailing to keep it shining. Or, you could have a vintage motorcycle that deserves the royal treatment with ceramic coating for long-lasting protection.
It’s a partnership between you and the motorcycle detailers, where the condition, the level of protection, and the durability of that protection are the variables that shape the final price. At Biketailing, we offer free evaluations to help guide your decision. Our packages are 100% customized to your motorcycle’s needs. We provide recommendations and you select the motorcycle detailing services you would like done. Give us a call, we are happy to help schedule an appointment!
In the world of motorcycle detailing, the price isn’t just a cost; it’s an investment in preserving the soul of your bike. Whether you’re looking to give your daily rider a refresh or bestow your classic with the protection it deserves, motorcycle detailing is an art and a science, all customized to bring out the best in your beloved machine. After all, your motorcycle deserves nothing but the best.